Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Breathtaking Calaguas

I was looking for a beach that's not too commercialized and somewhere that me and my friends haven't been too, and we found Calaguas -  a group of islands in the province of Camarines Norte.  A place that most bloggers tag as one of the best beaches in the Philippines.  

It was time for us to see it for ourselves.

Though I wasn't really keen on availing group tours on any of my trips (Pinatubo being only of them) and prefer to do it DIY style, i can still say that it was a wise choice for us to book via Melvic Brinas.  Their group package worth Php3,000 (2 Days, 1 night) was highly recommended by a friend of mine and rightfully so.  They were very accommodating but not to the point wherein you're pressured to mingle with others. 

Despite it being an early rainy season for the year 2011, we were blessed with the perfect sunny weather during our Calaguas trip last June 4-5.  We followed the itinerary which the Calaguas Island Tour set for us and left for Manila around 9pm on a Friday and arrived back in Manila at 4am, Monday.  I was prepared for a long and strenuous trip to Calaguas but I still felt battered nonetheless.  The Amihan bus is old and their air conditioning is cruelly cold.  So no matter what the weather is, better wear a thick jacket and bring a blanket. 

view from inside the bus
After breakfast at Daet, we rode a tiny boat from Vinzon's port to the island. (Just my two cents on the boat, perhaps it wouldn't hurt for the group tours to rent a boat with real seats since it's 2 hour ride.)


While we were nearby our destination, we couldn't contain our excitement.  More so when when we saw the crystal clear water and how fine the sand is. 


In unison, Boracay what?!


We spent the day taking endless pictures, drinking booze, skimboarding, swimming and topped it off with nonstop laughter and pure fun. 





photo by www.moniquedejesus.com


Come nightime, memories of Anawangin came rushing in.  Bath time also took place in a poso that is shared with the other campers.  After bathing, we were greeted with a blanket of stars :)  It was a natural high.★

We played the "association" game over a concoction of melon-3in1 coffee-GSM blue and my friends surprised me with a bday thingie.  Happy to have celebrated my 26th with them. 

I woke up early in the morning on our following day in Calaguas with the wind furiously shaking our tent.  It was already bright in the morning that I thought it was already past 9am.  But to my surprise, it's just past 5.  With my friends still sleeping soundly, I took the chance to take a few pictures of the island.













At around 930 in the morning, we left the island to head to Bagasbas - a famous surfing spot.  I wasn't really up for surfing at that time so I opted to take pictures of them.  Too bad I didn't have the lens to capture them close-up.  But I did enjoy watching them and told myself to maybe try it next time.
To sum up our Calaguas trip, I must say it was a love at first sight.  The island's crystal clear water is worth the long and arduous trip and I wouldn't hesitate to experience it all over again.  

So if you're planning your next trip, make Calaguas a must in your bucket list!

No comments:

Post a Comment